Monday, October 22, 2012

Background

(Cc'd to other potential participants, in case they're wondering too.)

> Hi Alex,
> Thank you for your response. I was wondering if you could tell me a
> bit more about yourself? Have you taught a course like this in the
> past? And what is your experience with meditation and Buddhism?
> Thanks again,

My path has been very much my own and I have no formal lineage, but I have been practicing for 11 years, have done over 5000 hours of meditation, and attended retreats and workshops with a number of people, including Ken McLeod, the author of the book the course will be loosely based on.  I have personally benefited from the approach I will be teaching and seen others benefit.  Ken is aware that I am teaching this course, and thinks it's a good idea.  (He is generally wary of institutionalized spiritual practices.)

This is the first course I've taught in real life.  For many years I've been helping people with meditation on the internet, and receiving help from them, under the handle "fivebells."  Here's an example of where I was helping someone recently (in case anyone's not used to online forums, the comments marked "fivebells" on the lefthand side are mine.):


This post describes the current edge of my own practice, in terms of the course topic:


Best regards,
Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment